Once you get the hang of it, a car with a manual transmission is fun to drive. It can be a real rush to feel like you’re in control of the car rather than just sitting behind the wheel. Here are some helpful tips to help make owning a car with a manual transmission more enjoyable.
Things to watch out for
Although they’re fun to drive, there are some bad habits to avoid when driving a stick. These mistakes can increase wear and tear on parts or actually damage the engine over time.
- Riding the clutch—This means leaving your left foot on the clutch pedal or even keeping the clutch partially depressed as you drive. This puts stress on the clutch mechanism and can cause it to wear out prematurely. Be sure to lift your foot completely off of the clutch pedal after you shift gears.
- Downshifting—Some people believe that they should use their gears to slow down, but this puts a lot of pressure on the engine and gearbox. Use your brakes to slow down, especially when coming down a hill.
Here are a few things that need extra attention when you drive a car with a manual transmission:
- Transmission inspection—Take your car in to Don Robinson Mitsubishi and get your transmission checked out once a year by trained technicians. They will look over the system for leaks, check the color, consistency, and level of the fluid.
- Change the fluid—Another yearly chore is changing the transmission fluid. Most people will leave this to the professionals. You may need to change the fluid more often if you drive a lot, especially in warmer weather.
- Don’t forget the cooling system—The cooling system keeps the engine from overheating, but it also cools the transmission fluid. Make sure your engine is in good working order to keep your transmission working smoothly, too.
For more information on caring for a car with a manual transmission, bring your vehicle down to Don Robinson Mitsubishi in Saint Cloud, Minnesota, today.
Find Out More
- + Disclaimers